Only a few days removed from a massive series, here are the takeaways from the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry.
So over the past few days, the Red Sox played their most important series of the season so far against the New York Yankees.
The Sox entered with a 1 game lead over the Yankees in the AL East and a 3 game winning streak. The Yankees were the winners of 6 straight games heading into the series. The Yankees took 2 out of 3 to move into a first place tie with the Red Sox in the AL East. Every game in this series was an intense battle and its going to be fun to watch these two fantastic teams battle it out for the rest of the season.
The season series between them is now tied 3-3 and I think it will continue to be a battle for the edge all season long.
For the Red Sox in this series, there was some good, some bad, and a lot of ugly.
There was a lot that happened in the exciting 3 game set, but here is a list of the things that I took away from this series:
1. Heath Hembree is not a great late-inning option. Gave up 4 earned runs in 0.2 innings this series. Enough said.
2. Matt Barnes is bad in high pressure situations. Hate to rip on a UConn guy but he pitched terrible trying to hold a 1 run lead in game 2.
3. Heath Hembree is the worst pitcher in the majors – maybe a slight overreaction, but hey.
4. Joe Kelly is really good, but he consistently gets put in impossible situations. He came in twice with the bases loaded and only 1 out and three times, including the Texas series, with the heart of the order up to clean up after after, guess who, Heath Hembree
5. Heath Hembree is really bad.
6. David Price has a serious mental block against the Yankees.
7. Hanley Ramirez is phenomenal against the Yankees. He mashed 2 home runs in the series, 3 of his 5 total this year have come against them, batting .389 with a 1.344 OPS against them this season.
8. Heath Hembree should be released immediately.
9. Mookie Betts is the best player in the MLB. We all already knew this but I thought it’d be good to include it.
10. JD Martinez is the second best player in the MLB. He collected 4 hits in the series including the game winning home run in game 3. He is batting a cool .348 and slugging 1.018 on the year. No big deal.
11. Craig Kimbrel is the most dominant closer in the game. Notice how I said CLOSER. He’s not an 8th inning guy.
12. Eduardo Rodriguez has the potential to be an MLB ace if he can master and locate all his pitches consistently and keep his pitch count down. ERod held the Yankees to 1 hit over 5 innings in game 3 with 8 K’s.
13. Heath Hembree is just not good at pitching.
14. Jackie Bradley can’t hit for his life. He’s batting .173 on the year and has been benched.
15. Our catchers’ offensive production is very low. Sandy and Vazquez combined to go 2-11 this series, both are batting well below .200 for the year. Is it time to inquire on JT Realmuto?
16. Mitch Moreland should be in the lineup every day. Batting .325 with an OPS of 1.026 this year in the time he’s played. Enough said.
17. Heath Hembree is terrible.
Hope you enjoyed some light-hearted observations!